I like the word trailblazer...It makes me think of someone who paves the way, who is fearless, who is someone I want to know. There have been alot of trailblazers in the history of women and this post is not to exclude them or their accomplishments...I just want to write about one in particular today...Penny Chenery, and the lessons I am taking with me this week from the movie "Secretariat".
Penny Chenery was a trailblazer who broke into the boys club of horseracing and showed them all up with a little horse she owned and believed in...Secretariat. Granted, there is a whole bunch more to the story of Penny Chenery that the Disney movie didn't get into. (to read it...and it is an interesting read for sure...click here), but there are so many lessons in the story of Secretariat and his 45 yr old housewife turned racehorse owner. Here are the lessons I found in the movie that I wanted to share with you:
1. Housewives (and I have been saying this forever)...can be smart, can be savvy, can be a force.
2. Impossible just means something hasn't been done...yet.
3. Don't let people label you based on your past experiences or mistakes. (Lucien Laurin, Secretariat's trainer, was labled a loser by many in the industry before training Secretariat--and resist the urge to label others...we don't know what what anyone's full potential is or what God has in store for their life story, including our own...)
4. Little kindnesses mean big things to the people receiving them.
5. Taking care of others is an honorable life's work.
This week, I am going to focus on these five lessons. I'm going to think about how I can incorporate them into my attitude, my family and my homeschool. While there is a very large, practically 100% chance that in my life I will never own a priceless racehorse, or break the boys' club or do the trailblazing things that Penny Chenery did--I do know that I don't know what God has written for my life story yet, and I refuse to limit his power by saying in my mind that something is impossible.
Happy Trailblazing this week my friends!