Last year, I had an epiphany. I would send home a real favor or none at all. For the Alice in Wonderland party my daughter had (for a post and pictures of that party, click here) I wanted something that went along with the theme that the guests could enjoy long after the party was over...coloring books.
Now, since I am a softy and kids love candy, I did do a candy bar favor to go along with the coloring book...with a twist...this one also doubled as decoration. Each child found one of these sitting on their plate when they sat down for pizza. A festive Hershey bar.
Again, utilizing an ebay search for "candy bar wrappers" I found a seller who made wrappers to the theme, personalized them and shipped them to me. All I had to do was adhere them to the candy bars and voila!). Here was the before...
|On the front they say "Audrey's 7th birthday party" and on the back they say "Thanks for coming to my party"|
Some other great ideas for more parent pleasing, functional favors are (and my experience is the kids love these cause they feel they leave with a "real present":
- A cardstock card with a thank you for coming message and a nice pencil or pen adhered to the top (think a pen that is scented or a pencil that has been fancied up with feathers to be made to look like a "plume".--perfect for a French themed soire or a Fancy Nancy party!)
- A little golden book of the party theme (if you did a book themed party). Most barnes and nobles sell them for the $3-4 range; you can usually find groups of them available cheaper than that on ebay.
- A gift certificate for a free sundae or shake if it is a summer birthday. One of my favorite received was when our kids went to a movie themed party and as favors received a free dvd rental coupon and a bag of microwave popcorn!
- handmade hair barrettes (see tutorial here)
- gloves (if it is a winter party or an ice skate party)
- a craft they make and then take home (Michaels and Joann's have a ton to choose from all $1-$3 a piece) and kids love to craft...paint a small flowerpot, decorate a picture frame...so many to choose from!
Are you for or against party favors? What is the most creative favor you have given at a party? Please share it with us in the comments below! (and remember I am unable to read or reply to comments for another week but will reply to them all when I am back!)